21.5.14

I Work Out! Part 1

[Shirts (All 3 - White T-Shirt Here), Sports Bra, Leggings, Shorts, Socks & Watch - Target; iPod Shuffle - Apple; Sneaks - Asics from Zappos]



I added this last weird pictures solely to show the weird veiny-ness of my hands.  What is going on there?  I look like a 15 year old with 70 year old hands!

Okay... so anyways... EXERCISE!  I hate it.  That's right, I'm not going to sit here and tell you about how much I love working out and how it's so wonderful and running 5 miles every day is awesome - I get such a rush!  No, I hate exercising.  I hate every minute of it.

But it's incredibly necessary.  

I'm not fat.  I'm not close to fat.  I've never been close to being fat.  Okay, except for the time I looked like this:

(This was a thin day back in the early 90s)

But aside from that, I'm not telling you I work out because of my weight, even though that has something to do with it.  It's all about being healthy, folks.  

First, my whole family is crazy thin.  Seriously, my brother called me the "fat one" for the longest time.  Being blessed with a great metabolism isn't all it's cut out to be.  For starters, high blood pressure runs on both sides.  It's a medical marvel on how such tiny people have such high blood pressure (I have my theories but we can discuss that in an email).  So don't go thinking "oh well aren't they just lucky."  We have our issues, too.  But the luck with weight is a big mask, too.  Because I was never overweight, I never felt the pressure to work out.  And because of that, my endurance was awful.  It was almost scary.  I knew that to be at a healthy weight for me and my body I needed to work out.  That may have meant losing some pounds, but that's ok.  I still eat full meals (I had Sonic today, complete with an Ocean Water, weakness) and snack when I'm hungry, but I am more conscious of my portions.  I'm in love with poutine (french fries with cheese and gravy) and I have some seriously ugly heart disease throughout my family.  Some people may be on the "heavier" side in their mind, but they have perfect vitals.  I on the other hand need to look at food as less of a fat builder and more like an artery clogger.... so I watch what I eat.  And I work out.

Working out is a chore for me.  But I feel guilty when I don't.  And you know what else?  LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.  Things happen, and you never know what is around the corner, but if you could prolong your life, would you?  Of course!  I don't love it, but I love the benefits, and I know I'm a healthier and better person because of it.



So how do you start?

1. Join a gym.  I don't love gyms, and I'm only drawn to them if they have classes, but if you're anything like me, you're going to get what you pay for.  I am more motivated to go to the gym and work out since I am paying for it.  Why waste that money I could be spending on shoes if I don't go?

2. Make a "Work Out" Pinterest board.  There are tons of easy work outs to get you started on Pinterest.  You can even start by following my workout board on Pinterest.  Find ones that seem "doable" and start there.  If you don't know a move, find it on YouTube.  I like researching my moves anyways to make sure I'm doing them right - like one of my best friends told me, "10 seconds of a plank in perfect form is better than 30 seconds not in perfect form" (and she's a reliable source).

3. Find a confidant and motivator.  It's hard.  And it will only be harder before it gets easier.  There will be times when you think "what's the point?"  It took me around 6 months of working out to start seeing results, and that's really demotivating.  Find someone with whom you can share your progress.  Sometimes this person goes through the process with you, other times they don't - it doesn't matter, just have someone you can lean on when you need it.

4. If you think that you're going to add running into your work out regime, I suggest getting an iPod shuffle and watch.  I love the shuffle because it's small and clips on to your sports bra, so it's one less thing you have to worry about.  I also used my credit card points to purchase it, so that was quite a nice little gift to myself that cost nothing.  The watch will be used later (you'll see) but make sure it has a timer and a stopwatch that are relatively easy to use/understand.  It doesn't have to be fancy - I got mine at Target during a Cartwheel 25% watches deal.  Trust me, the iPhone doubling as an iPod/timer seemed like a good idea at the time...

Next post, I'll be sharing my work out schedule.  I am not even close to being a "work out enthusiast" nor do I have enough knowledge to make this a regular occurring topic on the blog, but one of my absolute favorite bloggers out there, Marion, just started a fitness blog (because what full-time working mother with a business on the side doesn't?  seriously, I want to be her when I grow up) and it's wonderful - there are so many awesome people on there, too.  PLEASE check it out if you want to start working out - this group of women (and maybe men?) definitely satisfy tip #3.


Here was my motivation for running this past weekend.

Awwwwwwwww


No comments:

Post a Comment